If your binoculars are not adjusting or focusing correctly, you can take a few simple steps to solve the issue. It is essential to understand that binoculars must be adjusted frequently to function at their best. Here are five tips on how to fix common problems with your binoculars:
1) Check if the rubber eyecups are stuck down – If the eyecups won’t move, it’s likely that they’re stuck down and need some force applied before they will start moving again. To fix this, you may need to use a pair of pliers or bend them slightly using heat from an iron.
2) Clean lens surfaces – Dust and debris on lenses can cause blurry images and difficulty in adjusting focus. Remove dust particles by gently wiping both sides of each lens with a microfiber cloth dampened in mild dishwashing detergent (or contact liquid cleaner). Make sure all traces of soap residue is removed before putting the lenses back together.
3) Adjust diopter levels – Diopters allow users to adjust image brightness while looking through their glasses. Hence, every person has an optimal viewing experience during different activities or conditions, such as bright sunlight glare or indoors under fluorescent lighting bulbs, which often cause discomfort because people have sensitive eyesight. Most electronic screens emit different blue light waves compared with natural daylight hours outside when outdoor scenes look more crisp due mainly Blue Green Yellow lights waves.
4) Replace front lens element – This process is only necessary if the user notices difficulty seeing through the eyepieces, especially at close range. If you have difficulty viewing things up close and it appears something is wrong with your lenses, it is best to have them professionally cleaned and inspected before replacing the front lens element.
5) Replace focusing ring gears – The focus rings on most binoculars use rubber or metal gears that can become damaged from being bumped, dropped, or subject to other harsh treatment such as windblown sand, etc. For your binoculars to adjust accurately when focusing, the gears must be in good condition and free from any damage.
A binocular is an optical instrument that helps us see an object nearly and clearly. But if you use binoculars for a long time, you may face some difficulties. You may notice some problems with binocular lenses, prisms, and diopter rings.
Because of these problems, you can’t be able to see an object comfortably. To get rid of these, you must identify and fix the exact problem immediately.
But if your binoculars are broken, you can’t be able to fix them or recover them. Then you have to buy new binoculars for appropriate vision. You can fix your binoculars by following the procedures that are given below.
Fixing binocular lenses:
If there is a problem with binocular lenses, you may face problems focusing. Sometimes lenses are displaced for many reasons. It would be best to fix your binocular lenses to place them in the correct position—the steps are given below to fix your binocular lenses.
Firstly, you must collect all lens screwdrivers to open small and medium screws in your binoculars. You can manage this from a shop. You can buy this to use in the future.
You should carefully open the binocular screws with a screwdriver and the tiny lens screw with the necessary screwdriver.
Sometimes, you mayn’t find some lens screws because these are situated under a rubber coat. You should remove those rubber coats with a thin iron stick or knife to find the screw.
Then you should open those screws. Typically screws are situated at the right side of the lens.
After opening the screws, you have to take the lenses and wash them with soapy water. Then, you have to keep the lenses on a dry and fresh cloth to dry.
After drying, you should take lenses and place them at the center. You have to tighten the screw with the screwdriver to keep them in the actual position. You have to avoid touching on lenses.
After finishing these procedures, you should taste your binoculars to check lenses and focus. Yet if you face any trouble, you will have to recheck your binocular lenses and change their position to clear vision and direction.
[If these lenses are broken, you will have to use new lenses instead of those]
Fixing binocular prisms:
Binocular prisms help you to see the actual size and images. These mixed images from both sides support the brain with binocular vision. If you face binary vision problems in binoculars, it may happen to binocular prism problem. Procedures are given below to fix binocular prisms.
You must collect or buy a set of screwdrivers to open the screw of binoculars and binocular prisms.
You should open the screw of a binocular and find the prism location and prism screws. You see 2 screws for each prism. These screws are hidden under a rubber coat or soft cover in some prisms. You have to remove this cover.
You should place a target within 50 meters or 100 meters. Then you have to tighten or lose screws according to their necessity. If you see objects so small, they will have to tighten screws. Otherwise, you have to lose your screws. After doing this, you should again see the target with binoculars. If you find any difficulty again, you will have to fix your screw according to its necessity.
If you notice displacement of binocular prisms, you will have to open screws and place prisms correctly. Then you have to adjust the screws with a screwdriver.
[If these prisms are hampered or damaged, you’ll have to change these prisms and add new prisms]
Fixing binocular diopter ring:
Sometimes binocular focusing ring or diopter ring felt so hard at the time rotating. You’ll have to fix your binocular focusing ring if you face this difficulty.
You have to open the diopter ring with a screwdriver.
You should take fresh soft clothes and a stick. Add the cloths at the bottom of the stick and remove dust from the ring.
You must take some oily cream or grease and spread it in the focusing ring. Then you should add this again on your binoculars.
[You should avoid those grease which spread bad smell]
Frequently asked questions and answers
How should you use your binoculars?
You should use your binoculars properly and carefully.
1. Never keep your binoculars in a wet place for a long time. Because it causes fungus problems.
2. Don’t use your binoculars in stormy or bad weather.
3. You should not touch your binocular lenses.
4. Always fix your binoculars immediately when you face problem.
5. You shouldn’t look at the sun directly by using binoculars.
6. Always clean your binoculars regularly.
7. Avoid dropping binoculars.
Why do you face double vision problems?
You may face double vision problems because of binocular prisms problem and their displacement. You can remove this problem by fixing prisms.
Why do you face focusing problems?
When the lenses deviate from their correct places, then you face a focusing problem. By fixing lenses, you can get rid of this problem. But do not touch the lenses with your hands.
Do binoculars go bad?
Yes, binoculars can go wrong. When the lenses, prisms, or focusing knobs are broken, your prisms go bad.
Can you fix your binoculars at home?
Yes, you can fix your binoculars at home. If you collect the necessary elements and know the procedures, you can fix and repair your binoculars at home.
After all, binoculars are such optical instruments by which you can see an object big and clear. But, if there is any problem with binoculars, you can’t get this opportunity. To get this opportunity again, you should fix and repair your binoculars.
I am an enthusiastic student of optics, so I may be biased when I say that optics is one of the most critical fields. It doesn’t matter what type of optics you are talking about – optics for astronomy, medicine, engineering, or pleasure – all types are essential.
Table of Contents