Binocular is an optical instrument that helps us to see an object nearly and clearly and largely. But if you use a binocular for a long time, you may face some difficulties. You may notice some problems in binocular lenses, binocular prisms, and its diopter ring. Because of these problems, you can’t able to see an object comfortably. To get rid of these, you have to identify the exact problem and fix it immediately. But if your binocular is broken, you can’t able to fix it or recover it. Then you have to buy a new binocular for an appropriate vision. You can fix your binocular by following the procedures that are given below.
Fixing binocular lenses:
If there is a problem with binocular lenses, you may face problems in focusing. Sometimes lenses are displaced for many reasons. To place the lenses in right position, you have to fix your binocular lenses. Step are given below to fix your binocular lenses.
- Firstly, you have to collect all lens screwdriver that you need to open small and medium screw in your binocular. You can collect this from a shop. You can buy this to use in future.
- You should open the binocular screws by screwdriver and open the lens tiny screw by necessary screwdriver so carefully. Sometimes, you mayn’t find some lens screw. Because these are situated under rubber coat. You should remove those rubber coat by a thin iron stick or knife to find out the screw. Then you should open those screw. Normally screws are situated at right side of the lens.
- After opening screws, you have to take the lenses and wash it by soapy water. Then, you have to keep lenses on a dry and fresh cloth to dry.
- After drying, you should take lenses and place them at the center. You have to tight the screw with screwdriver to keep them in actual position. You have to avoid touching on lenses.
- Finishing these procedures, you should taste your binoculars to check lenses and focus. Yet if you face any trouble, you will have to check your binocular lenses again and change their position to clear vision and focus.
[If these lenses are broken, you will have to use new lenses instead of those]
Fixing binocular prisms:
Binocular prisms help you to see the actual size and images. These mix images that are entering from both sides and help brain for binocular vision. If you face binary vision problems in binocular, it may happen for binocular prisms problem. Procedures are given below to fix binocular prisms.
- You have to collect or buy a set of screwdrivers to open the screw of a binocular and binocular prisms.
- You should open the screw of a binocular and find the prisms location and prism screws. You find 2 screws for each prisms. In some prisms these screws are hidden under rubber coat or soft cover. You have to remove this cover.
- You should place a target within 50 meters or 100 meters. Then you have to tight or lose screws according to its necessity. If you see objects so small, the will have to tight screws. Otherwise you have to lose your screws. After doing this, you should again see the target by binocular. If you find any difficulty again, you will have to fix your screw according to its necessity.
- If you notice displacement of binocular prisms, you will have to open screws and place prisms in right place. Then you have to adjust screws by screwdriver.
[If these prisms are hampered or damage, you’ll have to change these prisms and add new prisms]
Fixing binocular diopter ring:
Sometimes binocular focusing ring or diopter ring is felt so hard at the time of rotating. If you face this difficulty, you’ll have to fix your binocular focusing ring.
- You have to open the diopter ring by screwdriver.
- You should take fresh soft cloths and a stick. Add the cloths at the bottom of the stick and remove dusts from the ring.
- You have to take some oily cream or grease and spread in focusing ring. Then you should add this again on your binocular.
[You should avoid those grease which spread bad smell]
Frequently asked questions and answers
Q. How should you use your binocular?
Ans: You should use your binocular properly and carefully.
- You should not keep your binocular at wet place for a long time. Because it causes fungus problem.
- You should not use your binocular at stormy or bad weather.
- You should not touch your binocular lenses.
- You should fix your binocular immediately when you face problem.
- You shouldn’t look at sun directly by using binocular.
- You should clean your binocular regularly.
- You should avoid dropping binocular.
Q. Why do you face double vision problem?
Ans: You may face double vision problem because of binocular prisms problem and their displacement. You can remove this problem by fixing prisms.
Q. Why do you face focusing problem?
Ans: When the lenses are deviated from their right places, then you face focusing problem. By fixing lenses, you can get rid of this problem. But, do not touch the lenses with hands.
Q. Do binoculars go bad?
Ans: Yes, binocular can go bad. When the lenses or prisms or focusing knobs are broken, then your prisms go bad.
Q. Can you fix your binocular at home?
Ans: Yes, you can fix your binoculars at home. If you collect necessary elements and know procedures, you can fix and repair your binoculars at home.
After all, binocular is such an optical instruments by which you can see an object big and clear. But, if there is any problem in binocular, you can’t get this opportunity. To get this opportunity again, you should fix and repair your binocular.
I am an enthusiastic student of optics, so I may be biased when I say that optics is one of the most critical fields. It doesn’t matter what type of optics you are talking about – optics for astronomy, medicine, engineering, or pleasure – all types are essential.